Saturday, January 1, 2011

1-1-11 The Beginning of a Journey

Wow, today is New Years Day 2011.  I had made a commitment to myself several weeks ago that I was going to get my camera out every day of 2011.  The reason for this is that as a professional photographer I want to do whatever it takes to BE the best photographer I can be.  That sounds sort of lame but it is very easy to get into a rut and do the same thing over and over again.  Not just in photography but in life.  My hope is that I will learn to see the things around me in a different light.  As a photographer that alone has many meanings.  

Today I set out in my car and with camera in hand to "find" the first picture of the year.  Living in the frozen tundra of Minnesota and with the temperature all of 5 degrees out and a steady wind to boot it was not the easy task I had envisioned.  I saw many things that called out to me but because of deep snow and horrible driving conditions getting out of my warm car was not going to happen.  I did find what I was looking for but the realization of the challenge ahead of me over the next year grew very clear.   I am very excited about what lies ahead in this journey and hope you will come along for the ride.  

Over the next year my goal is to photograph something everyday.  The subject matter will be various things from client work to whatever motivates me on a particular day.  I plan to share something about the photograph taken each day.  It may be a special story about the subject or the technical details behind the image.   I see this blog and its format as a work in progress that will change and grow as I do over the next year.  

Thank you for stopping by and enjoy!  

Vicky Johnson



Finding the "RIGHT" first image was much harder then I thought it would be.  This is a spot along side a road I travel almost every day.  In the Spring we watch the ducks gather and sit on their eggs.  We as a community watch with great anticipation as the little ducklings are hatched.  Throughout the summer we watch the journey they make from duckling to independence.  I love this little spot in our little world of Chaska. As I journey this next year with this project this will be a spot I come back to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment